And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times…” (Genesis 1:14)
If you’re in my tribe, you’re probably totally cool with Astrology and don’t really need this post to feel okay continuing along your path. However, there may be some of you who are on a more traditional path, or those who have chosen an alternative spiritual path who still have lingering voices in their head from childhood about sin, witchcraft, and stargazers. It may also prove handy for any family members or friends who feel it necessary to save your soul.
I believe there are many paths and words used that lead to the way of Light and Truth and for this post I have written from a Christian perspective and language.
Bottomline – my sincere and honest reading of the canonical scripture, aka The Holy Bible leads me to believe that Astrology, especially the astrologically based system of Human Design is just fine with a few guidelines.
1. The sin (aka error, or separating oneself from God) is not recognizing God as the source behind all of creation. God placed the stars, the heavens, and the way they influence us and all of creation. In terms of working with someone or working with astrologically based systems there are a few points to consider in terms of is it in alignment with the teachings of the bible. The first question a Christian should ask themselves is what is the source someone is drawing from? Is it God? If the guidance you receive is alignment with Scripture, and fills you with a sense of peace, understanding, or fulfillment – then the guidance is most likely from God Source. If guidance is coming through someone else, they should also be encouraging you to reference your own faith in the context of whatever insights they are giving you. An intuitive consultant working from a God Source perspective will tell you what energies and conditions are surrounding you now vs trying to predict the future (more in point #2). The reason for this, from a metaphysical point of view is because the future is constantly in flux, existing in multiple possible realities at the same time. Another way to say this is we cannot fully understand the mind or will of God. This type of reading keeps you inner focused and connected with your truth, if you’re a Christian this of course also means to your relationship with Jesus. A red flag that you’ve gone against teachings in the Bible is working with a healer who takes your focus outward, and asks you to believe that they are your source of salvation or healing. A healer will be working within the guidance given in the Bible if they recognize themselves as merely a channel for Spirit to do it’s work. From a biblical perspective salvation only comes through God the creator of all we see, creator of who we are and our source for every need.
- Genesis 1:14 – 18 – God created all seen and unseen
- Deuteronomy 4:19 – Do not worship the stars because God is the source of the stars
- Judges 5:19 -20 – The stars aligned to help Debra
- Kings 21: 3-6, 17:16, 23:4 – People began to worship God’s creations vs God and were thus in error (aka sin)
- Job 9:9, 31: 26 -28, 38:31-32 – God is the only one who can influence the stars, God is the source of all
- Isaiah 8:19 – Connect with your source, God
- Jeremiah 8:2 – See the truth, God is in control
- Jeremiah 10: 1-2 – See the truth, God is in control
- Chronicles 10:13 – 14 – Asked for guidance from someone other than God
2. As relating to Astrology specifically, according to scripture the sin is in Astrology with a predictive nature The few times astrology practitioners (star gazers) are referred to specifically, the sinful nature of what they practice isn’t in looking to the stars for information but in trying to reveal God’s future plans, thereby trying to sidestep God’s Divine Timing. This is also behavior of someone who would not be God fearing which was pretty clearly not cool in the Old Testament. There are plenty of places in the Bible where the stars are used as guidance without it being sinful. In Genesis we even see that God created the stars as signs. In regards to Human Design, the Human Design system is not predictive in nature. Human Design is a tool that helps you gain insight to how you are most inclined to naturally operate, what your natural gifts and skills are. Additionally much of the living out the Human Design experiment is learning to to just trust, to just have faith, to just know that you are being supported and wait in faith for what is correct for your unique design to show up. This is the opposite of going against Divine Timing, this a practice in trusting God’s Divine Timing. It’s not that God doesn’t want us to know God’s plans for us, rather the only reason we would constantly be peeking into the future is if our belief and faith rested somewhere other than with Spirit. We don’t need to be prepared if we know we are always unconditionally loved, supported, and provided for. Therefore, the star gazers and diviners of the old testament times would have inevitably been turning you away from your knowing/relationship/faith in and with God, and that is all sin is.
References – waiting for God’s plan to reveal it’s self
- Isaiah 47:12 – 15
- Proverbs 3:5-6
- Acts 1:7
- Jeremiah 29:11-14
3. Most references are found in the Old Testament, before we had a direct line to God The references that are found to anything relating to astrology or really anything new-age-y is almost exclusively found in the Old Testament, and are almost always about mediumship, divination, and witch craft. In these references they are speaking about directly connecting to spirits other than God, or the Holy Spirit. We know that any medium of the Old Testament would most certainly be connecting with spirits *not* God approved, because in the Old Testament basically the only way you were in relationship with God is if God reached out to you because you had been judged as living a righteous life. In the time of the Old Testament, you would not be guaranteed a relationship with God and God was under no obligation to be in relationship with you unless you were righteous enough to hold up ALL of the laws in the Old Testament. If you’ve read through those laws, you know they are copious and would be nearly impossible for any of us to keep. This is why God sent Jesus Christ. As far as Christians are concerned, ever since Jesus all of humanity have had the option to have a direct relationship with God through Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit can speak through us. I believe if a practitioner of astrology or divination is blessing their work through Christ and making themselves a channel for the Holy Spirit that they are practicing their work righteously from a Christian perspective.
- Daniel 1:20, 2:10, 2:27-28, 4:1-7 – God is fine with predictions, and guidance if God is the source of such work….(old testament foreshadowing)
- Zechariah 10:2 – those working with anything less than source, The Holy Spirit receive and give false prophecy and guidance….(old testament foreshadowing)
- Matthew 2:1 – 10 – the wise men who were star gazers (astrologers) where guided through God given visions to seek out the baby Jesus…(new testament )
- Matthew 7:22 – 24 – Jesus says it is our connection with him (aka Christ Consciousness) that enables holy works of prophesy, healing, and miracles (in 2017 some refer to miracles as magic)……(new testament)
- I Corinthians 12:3 – we see this same teaching echoed again….(new testament)
- the teachings highlighted here from the new testament are where they show up most clearly, but similar mentions are made throughout the new testament.
- see #1 for all other old testament references
4. Human Design fully supports one of the biggest teachings of The New Testament Finally, the Bible makes it very clear God has designed each one of us as completely unique with a specific mission. In order for this mission to be revealed to us, we must be humble and honest about both our strength and weaknesses. We must understand our individuality as sacred and divinely designed. We must live in the truth of God as us. A Human Design reading – grounded in Spirit – does just this. The most common phrase I hear after a reading is “wow – you gave me permission to be myself”. In my view the reason my clients have such tremendous breakthroughs is because I surrender myself to Spirit so that it may work through me in our reading, and in this sacred space of love and truth, they begin to connect with their God given gifts and uniqueness.
A few beautiful Bible passages about our divine designs:
1 Corinthians 12:4-6 – Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons.
1 Corinthians 12:25-28 – This makes for harmony among the members, so that all the members care for each other. If one part suffers, all the parts suffer with it, and if one part is honored, all the parts are glad. All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it. Here are some of the parts God has appointed for the church: first are apostles, second are prophets, third are teachers, then those who do miracles, those who have the gift of healing, those who can help others, those who have the gift of leadership, those who speak in unknown languages.
Romans 12:4-8 – Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a person’s gift is prophesying, let them use it in proportion to their faith. If it is serving, let them serve; if it is teaching, let them teach; if it is encouraging, let them encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let them give generously; if it is leadership, let them govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let them do it cheerfully.
Using Human Design and even astrology as part of your overall approach to living does not contradict the spirit of the teachings in the Holy Bible, and can even compliment your Christian journey. Human Design strongly ask of all of us to question the idea of hustle, what is in control of our results, and how to create when the “success formula” turns out to be a lie.